The iTEP Foundation Certificate Test is designed to evaluate test takers at the very beginning of their efforts to learn English. Test items are crafted to be within the reach of test takers who are at the initial stages of their English language proficiency development and are able to use English at a basic elementary level.
As such, the iTEP Foundation test evaluates test takers most effectively at the A1 to A2 levels according to the Common European Framework of Reference
(CEFR). The Certificate will be awarded at the A2 level (2.0 – 2.2) and at the A2 level with Distinction (2.3 – 2.4). The scale below shows the scoring and corresponding CEFR designation for the iTEP Foundation test.
- Certificate – Foundation: grammar, listening, vocabulary, and reading at the A2 level.
- Certificate – Essential: grammar, listening, vocabulary, reading (optional writing and speaking with Essential-Plus) at the B2 level.
- Certificate – Advanced: grammar, listening, vocabulary, reading, writing, and speaking at the C1 level.
The iTEP tests occur online, at proctored computer labs situated in public iTEP testing centers or on-location at our client’s headquarters.
- Certificate – Foundation: 30 minutes
- Certificate – Essential: 60 minutes (with “Plus” optional feature the time extends to 90 minutes)
- Certificate – Advanced: 90 minutes